Wine Tasting From Home with Friend!

Name: Winking Owl 

Variety: Merlot

Region: California 

Country: USA

Year: 2015 

Price: $3.00


Winery Review: According to online reviews regarding this wine, the wine received an overall rating of 3.2, which is a little surprising to me but maybe I am just unseasoned. The reviewers mentioned the wine tasting "oaky, black fruit, and red fruit." One reviewer stated "Same price as grape juice, but with alcohol! Soft, fruit forward red. Blackberry, orange peel, but really, you aren't picky at this price point, are you?" - P.T. 10/18/2018. It is rated top 24% of wines in the world, and top 30% of wines from California! 


Personal Review: I was pleasantly surprised with this wine, considering how cheap it was. I have drink plenty of glasses of red wine previously, but this was the first time I drink a glass of wine trying to depict the specific flavors and aromas.  It was a little challenging but I think over time it will become easier! This merlot was very tart, bitter, plummy, berry-like flavor. It was dry, but not too dry (I thought it was the perfect dryness). Could tell there was a subtle oak flavor and it certainly felt hot and warm going down my throat. I did not have the opportunity to pair this wine with food, but according to wine folly, due to the bitterness in the wine, macaroni would be a great pairing dish because it would balance out with the salt and fat. There are 3 main wine tasting components for red wines according to wine folly (the website, my wine folly book is coming in the mail as we speak!). Bitter (being the biggest contribution), acid, and sweet. I would agree that this merlot expressed bitterness the most, also I am not sure if I noticed acidity, but it had a very subtle sweet taste! Would definitely get this wine again, and I will pair it with a dish of macaroni.  

Comments

Popular Posts