Cabernet Sauvignon Tasting

 Name: Voyager Point

Variety: Cabernet Sauvignon

Region: California

Country: USA

Year: 2020

Price: $11

Winery Review: This cabernet is described as "a bold and expressive wine cultivated in the idyllic sun-soaked vineyards of California. It has vibrant notes of ripe, dark fruits such as blackberries, plums, and cherries. Pair it with any dish using marinara sauce, and you're golden." It is more on the drier side of the scale and has a full body. 

Personal Review: I usually am not a fan of cabernets because they are too strong and tend to be so overpowering in flavor it is hard to drink a lot of it. This cabernet was not my favorite. First sniff was extremely powerful. With sharp notes of sour dark fruits like plum and blackberries, it coated my mouth and instantly felt dry. As I was swallowing it was so hot going down my throat. This wine is very much so full of body and very dry. Two of the qualities of wine I tend to veer away from. However, I am glad that I tried this wine! According to Wine Folly, specifically on the page indicating "wines by body scale," cabernet sauvignon is close to the end of the largest body but it is 11 away from having the fullest body. The fullest body is expressed in a zinfandel. I recently tried a zinfandel but it was pink and very cheap and I would not say it had a fuller body than cabernet sauvignon. So I am intrigued and will likely be trying a zinfandel soon!


Comments

Popular Posts